When I started this blog at the beginning of 2012, part of my reasoning was to make turning 30 something special. Looking back at 29, I didn’t feel I had accomplished much or made significant memories or progress during the year. I vowed to make 30 extra special!
So I started a journal of all my accomplishments, memories, and exciting happenings of 2012. Here are some of the things I included in my journal:
1) My Goals for the Year
2) Books I Read
3) Motivational Pictures or Quotes
4) Things to Remember in 2012… this is the part that is really cool! Anytime something unique or memorable happened, I wrote it down. Here are just some of the things that have happened over the past year.
- Went to the Cotton Bowl with 50-yard line seats and owner’s lounge tickets
- Hosted a baby shower for my friend Chasity… TWINS!
- Savannah, Georgia Birthday Trip
- Ran Oklahoma City Half-Marathon
- Woodard Tornado, April 15th
- Tap Danced at Miss Oklahoma with Miss OK’s Julie and Kendi
- Scott honored with “40 Under 40″ Oklahomans
- Judged Miss Texas Outstanding Teen Pageant
- Moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma… househunting, painting, & flooring
- OSU Homecoming 2012 with the Family
This is just a small sampling of things I recorded. Some are BIG events like moving and changing jobs. Others are small, but things I want to remember like fun trips and times with friends.
However, I noticed as I reflect back on my pursuits during the year, I always feel a huge sense of gratitude when looking at these events. Gratitude for time with my friends and family. Gratitude for once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Gratitude for strength and good health. Gratitude for peace in times of hardship. Gratitude for God’s guidance along life’s path.
I remember reading a quote once, something like… if anything is worth doing, it is worth recording. This is a year I want to remember. And my “gratitude journal” is something I will keep doing every year… to be reminded of where I have been and to be thankful for what may come.